We saw this recipe on PBS and thought we would look it up. Sounds amazing and looked awesome, too. Our crockpot is doing the cooking for us instead of the oven.
- 6 pounds pork shoulder/butt bone in (ours is only 3lbs)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup kosher salt (we didn't use the whole amount, we used only 1/2 this amount)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar (we used Angry Orchard Cider!)
- 2 cups Pilsner or wheat beer
- 2 quarts chicken stock (or enough to cover meat by 1-inch)
DirectionsPlace the pork in a deep large heavy pot.
Put in the apples and onions.
Tie the herbs together with butcher twine.
Add to the pot. Using cheesecloth make a sachet with the peppercorns and coriander seeds.
Add to the pot and add salt. Add the vinegar, beer and enough chicken stock to cover the meat.
Cover with foil or tight fitting lid.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and bake for 8 hours.
Remove meat from the pot and strain the liquid to remove solids.
Shred the pork with a fork and set aside.
Refrigerate the liquid.
When chilled remove the fat from the top of the liquid.
Add the pork to the liquid.